Monday, January 5, 2009

• TOC load time

The load time for the Table of Contents on my main blog is considerably long. The code is a 3rd party script and beyond my scope of expertise. I noticed that when my blog loads, there is a delay at the point when the TOC widget comes up. In Safari's Activity window, I noticed that the TOC is now roughly around 400k. After 250+ posts, I'm actually not all that surprised. The problem is that when the TOC loads, the code calls to load the data. This could prove to be somewhat frustrating for users still using dial up internet.

I have moved the part of the code that loads the 400k worth of data to the bottom of the page so that there is no longer a delay when loading the sidebar. For the TOC to work, however, visitors must allow the page to finish loading.

With Statcounter, I am unable to tell how many visitors actually use the TOC feature. I am wondering if having that extra feature is really worth it. I may add a brief poll to see if visitors are making good use of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment